Becoming a member of Overbrook Presbyterian Church is a definitive ‘next-step’ in a lifelong journey that each person makes at his or her own individual pace.
In our Inquirer’s class, individuals have the opportunity to reflect on where they are on their faith journey and how the direction they are headed in their walk with God may line up with the direction of Overbrook Presbyterian Church. Through instruction, discussion, and personal reflection, you will:
- Learn about the basics of the Christian faith and what it means to be Presbyterian
- Be introduced to the message of Overbrook Presbyterian Church
- Get to know other people interested in becoming a member of the church
- Discover ways in which you can partner with Overbrook Presbyterian Church to serve others
- Decide whether wish to become a member of the church.
Once you have completed the class, you can become a member of Overbrook Presbyterian Church by meeting with the Session (the elders) at a time designated to receive new members. At that time you are asked to do one of the following:
- Profess your faith for the first time and be baptized.
- Profess your faith for the first time (for those already baptized).
- Reaffirm your faith (for those who have been baptized and professed their faith previously), and when applicable, request a Letter of Transfer from another Christian church.
A new member will be recognized during a Sunday morning worship service in order to celebrate their faith, commitment, and discipleship in being called into this congregation. The new member will answer the questions below. The new member may also share their faith story if desired.
1. Who is your Lord and Savior? Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior.
2. Do you trust in him? I do.
3. Do you intend to be his disciple, obey his word and show his love? I do
4. Will you be a faithful member of this congregation, giving of yourself in every way, and seek the fellowship of the church wherever you may be? I will, with God’s help.